Monday, February 19, 2007

It shouldn't be this hard!!!

When I got married three years ago, I decided I wanted my bridal shower to be a surprise. I was going to be totally hands off, which is hard for me to do, and just let it happen. I figured I had enough stress getting ready for the wedding, I didn't need any more. Well, that didn't work so well. My sister, who was my maid of honor, had just moved to Washington D.C. for school, so she was not close by to arrange anything. The rest of my bridesmaids were scattered around the state and country , no one seemed to want to take charge and friends who had offered to help dropped the ball. I got more phone calls asking me what was going on than I can count. In the end, my mom put something together, it was mostly a surprise, but by this time I knew something was up. Then my husband, being a dumb boy, didn't think to include a number of important females in his life, friends moms who he's known for years, wives/girlfriends of friends things like that..so there were some hurt feelings and I was perceived as a snob who didn't want to include his friends. ( I fixed that real quick and totally told them to blame Hubby, since it was a surprise to me..and they all did! He won't make that mistake again).
So when I found out I was pregnant, I decided to take a more hands on approach to my shower. I know Emily Post would have heart failure to know that I basically planned my own shower, and some friends thought it was tacky, but fuck em. After the stress of the bridal shower, I figured the more involved I was the less could go wrong and I need more stress now like I need a hole in my head!!! So my mom and I put our heads together and came up with a date and time. We decided to hold it at my in-laws church building since it was big and there was room for kids to run and...well..it was free. My mom was a bit stressed and didn't really want to deal with the invitations, understandable since she did the bridal shower ones. I figured it would be really tacky for me to send them out. Enter our friend we'll call Morgan. She offered to help out and was really excited to do it. Now I doubt that Morgan will ever have children of her own, so I figured this was her living it out through me. So I went to the fifth level of Hell knows as Babies R Us and picked up the free, fill in the blank invitations,they give you if you register there. I printed out all the address labels for the guests and even return labels for Morgan. All she had to do was fill in the one sided invitation, throw in some directions and stick them in the mail. I gave her this stuff in JANUARY. A couple weeks went by and no one had received anything. Then disaster struck Morgan and her girlfriend ended up in the hospital with a blood clot in her lungs and a week later Morgan had a heart attack. Not to be insensitive, but a one point I called her in the hospital and asked what the status was with the invites, we were less than two weeks away from the RSVP and no one had seen one and people were asking questions. Turns out they hadn't been sent yet!!!!!!! ARE YOU FUCKEN KIDDING ME!!!!! YOU"VE HAD THE SHIT FOR THREE WEEKS....I know there has been sickness and this wasn't a priority, but shouldn't they have been out BEFORE you all got sick. So I told Morgan's girlfriend that if there was too much stuff going on, I would come down and pick up the invites and get them sent out. She PROMISED it would be done that weekend. And it was.

All is well now right??? WRONG!!!!

The problem. Well at least 1/3 that I know of HAVE THE WRONG FUCKEN DATE!! HOW DO YOU SEND OUT INVITATION, THAT HAS THE WRONG DATE!! I MEAN THE WHOLE THING IS WRONG, DAY, DATE MONTH EVERYTHING IS WRONG! THE FUCKEN INVITES AREN'T EVEN THE ONES I GAVE HER, NOWHERE DOES IT SAY THAT IT IS A BABY SHOWER (i thought it was obvious but apparently some people thought it was some weird religious ceremony that they had missed) IT NEGLECTS TO MENTION THAT I AM REGISTERED AT THE FIFTH LEVEL OF HELL AND THERE IS NO ADDRESS TO THE FUNCTION HALL. Oh, and did I mention that I don't even know if everyone got them, cause three family members didn't!!!!!!
Now, I can't very well yell at the girl cause she just had a heart attack. And I know that her heart was in the right place in wanting to make the invitations more special and all that shit. HOWEVER, if you are going to volunteer to do something this important for someone, be sure that you: A. have the time, B. have the intention, and C. ARE RESPONSIBLE ENOUGH TO GET IT FUCKEN DONE!!!! The sad thing is, part of me expected this. I love Morgan to pieces, but there is always some drama in her life that causes her to not always be 100% reliable. I wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt because I KNOW she is excited about the baby and this is as close as she'll get. But now this shower as turned into stress central. I had to make a million phone calls to be sure everyone got the correct date and knows about the registry and all that other stuff. The shower is this weekend and my mom still doesn't even know how many people are coming, because Morgan has gone MIA again. So come this Saturday, there could be 10 people at my shower, there could be 50, who the hell knows.

I swear, next time I"m just gonna do it my self.

I need a drink!

1 comment:

LezBeBarefoot said...

Oh lord!! This is exactly why I don't leave ANY planning to anyone. It's like that saying goes if you want something done right ..

Nonetheless, I hope that you have a fabulous shower!