Sunday, January 28, 2007

In Laws

I am very lucky, I actually like my in laws. Before I got married, I heard horror stories from my married friends about the spawns of Satan that they had inherited when they married. My in laws are very sweet. I have not felt any resentments or pressures and they don't stick their nose into our business any more than my parents do. There is one area where there is a bit of conflict. My in laws are very religious, my father in law is a minister for the Church of Christ and they spend all day Sunday in prayer services and Bible study. I was raised Catholic, but have become more of a spiritual person. I don't really affiliate myself with any one religion. I have never hidden this from anyone. My husband knows my feelings on organized religion and I've never pretended otherwise around my in laws. This has never been a problem, until now. And I shouldn't say it's a problem, but I have a sense that it may become one. I am 7 1/2 months pregnant with my in laws first grandson. They have two granddaughters, but for some reason (maybe it's a Hispanic thing) there was always allot of hinting and pressure for me to have a boy. So here I am, weeks away from giving birth to the prodigal grandson, and my mother in law wants to "have a talk". It's some what odd when, at 32, one is still anxious to have a meeting with a parental unit. The talk started out inconspicuous enough. First, she said she wanted to talk about "Freedom in Finances". Ok. She has recently gotten involved in some financial planning things and wanted to help my husband and I to start saving for a house ....excellent. Then, she moved on to wanting to talk about "Freedom in the Lord'...not excellent. I respect her beliefs and her faith...I actually admire anyone who has a strong faith, but don't expect me to be converted. So she went on for a bit about how she's not saying we have to go to church, but we should start reading scriptures at home so we can find guidance and "they way". I have nothing against reading my son Bible stories, I think they can be excellent teaching tools for what is right and wrong, but I also think the Buddhists, Hindus, Muslims, and Pagans have stories that are do this too. I also think that Harry Potter and The Chronicles of Narnia are equally qualified to teach good v. evil. So where will this go. I don't know. We are suddenly being invited to more "church group" events. Currently, my husband is noncommittal about the whole thing. I have a feeling that this will be get worse possibly coming to a head, before it gets better. Hubby and I are going to have to sit down and form a plan of some sort, but I think I"ll cross that bridge when I get to it, I have enough on my plate right now!

I'm lucky My Hubby is so cute, cause I won't deal with this for just anyone!!

1 comment:

LezBeBarefoot said...

Oh lord! I agree with you. I am more of a spiritual soul and I have my own opinion about organized religion. I went through a similar thing with my great great grandfather when my daughter was born because I refused to have her baptised in a Catholic church!

Good Luck!