Sunday, January 14, 2007

'so Mothers be good to your daughters, too.'

I ran across an old journal of mine. It was from July of 2002. In it, I was ranting about my then 16 year old daughter. Funny, but we are still having all of the same issues with her, and she is now nearly 21.

There have been many times over the past 8 or 9 years that I have wondered if she would ever outgrow her behaviors - and hoping that at least they would start to diminish at some point. (In my head I know that the "some point" that I was hoping for was age 20 or so)

It chills me to think that she may always be the way she is - which is unpleasant, mean, disrespectful (to everyone, not just us) messy, irresponsible and unable to hold down a job. (she has had 6 different part time jobs in 2006 - none of which she still has).

I'm at a loss....

Thousands of hours and dollars spent on therapy - to only be told that "all that therapy made me worse, and was a waste of time".

If her dad and I were on the same page, she would not be living here with us. Sadly, he has not reached the point of "tough love" yet. His way is to keep her dependant - be the good guy. I get stuck being the bitch mother. Such a pleasant position to hold.

1 comment:

barefootblogger said...

I know this may not be the total light at the end of the tunnel you were hoping for, but I am here to tell you that I was that same girl... only many years ago. I did eventually grow out of that nasty phase, but not until I hit my 30's & most definately once I myself became a mother. It's amazing what being responsible for a small soul will do to your own... hang in there & in the meantime, buy alot of chocolate!